Growing up in the 70’s and 80’s, I never imagined that I would one day live in a world where I had to plug in everything at night, in order to use it the next day. The only thing I ever had to plug in was my curling iron and that wasn’t every day. There was nothing else I needed to plug in on a daily basis in order to properly function. Fast forward many years later—enter the world of wireless technology. Last night, I plugged in my laptop, phone, tablet, and portable charger. My, my, my how times have changed! Due to these changing times, the increasing requirements in our lives, we have to recharge every night!
Friends, we must do the same thing in our lives both mentally and spiritually! Due to the daily challenges we face and the requirements of our respective jobs, we must plug in and recharge our batteries each night. You might face irate parents, disrespectful kids, unreasonable expectations, or simply someone cutting you off while driving to work. You must recharge! So, here are 5 ways to recharge everyday. I call them the 5 R’s:
- Rest! Go to bed! Seriously, get some sleep ya’ll! You need at least 6 hours of sleep to be rested for the next day. Some people can survive on 5hrs. but at least 6 will have you less irritable the next day.
- Read! Crack open your Bible and read a verse or chapter. Proverbs are always a good place to start, and of course, the four Gospels show Jesus living a self-less life we can all learn from. This gives your mind something to meditate on and fall back on throughout the day.
- Rejuvenate! Listen to your favorite music whenever you get a chance. Research shows music does something wonderful and refreshing to the brain. I personally believe it does something incredible to the human spirit! Also, listen to inspirational podcasts, or watch uplifting videos as well.
- Reward! Ok, I don’t mean knock out a gallon of ice cream every night. I’m talking about some small treats that make you feel “Rewarded”. One of my treats is a twix, or hot chocolate from SB. Whatever it takes to make you feel like you have done yourself some good for the day.
- Remember! Think about why you do what you do! Think about the value you bring to those around you. Remind yourself that you were created for a purpose and that purpose can only be fulfilled by you–and only if you are recharged every day!